Monday, July 21, 2014

Vacation Soup

Vacation Soup
I call this soup "Vacation Soup" for a few reasons:
1) It's easy to make when you're on vacation.
2) It's a good vacation from heavy, rich food, but still substantial.
3) It's a great vacation for a cook who doesn't feel like cooking.

It's super easy and super quick to make, only requires 3 ingredients - including water- and can be made in a hot pot type appliance in a college dorm, military barracks, or hotel room (fire code permitting, of course!)

We eat this soup a lot when we are on vacation - it's easy to make in a kitchenette, and doesn't require a stocked pantry. At the end of a long day of visiting or sight-seeing, it's easy & fast & satisfying. And, we all like it. A lot. We serve a plate of  fresh veggies & olives alongside to make a complete meal.

I was inspired to make this when I visited a family member in a nursing home, and saw that the residents were routinely passing up the regular fare (which looked quite good) to order a soup like this one. It made me think of one of my Mom's old standbys. The first time I served it, my little daughter asked if I might schedule it into our menu for every Monday from now on!

Here's the recipe:

Vacation Soup
1 liter (or one quart) of boiling water
2 large cubes of Vegetable Bouillon (such as Maggi or Knorr)
1/2 pound (1/4 Kilo) of Fideo type Pasta (if Fideo is unavailable, break Angel Hair into 1" pieces)
Simmer for about 7 minutes, or till pasta is done the way you like it .

Serve. (Some like to add a dash of lemon juice to taste at the table)

Variations: Add your favorite frozen vegetables or dried mushrooms to the boiling water before adding the pasta. The pictured soup includes Broccoli & dried Shiitake Mushrooms - I cut the Mushrooms into bite-sized pieces with kitchen shears just before serving. (But, we most commonly eat just the noodles and broth without the veggie additions.)

Tip for dining with Omnivores: Add diced cooked chicken before serving, or serve a cold cheese, salami & cracker tray alongside.

This is being shared at:
The Art of Homemaking Mondays
 What'd You Do This Weekend
Penny Pinching Party
Motivation Mondays 
Simple Saturdays 
Kid-Friendly Recipes


  1. Wonderfully easy soup! I love the reasons you've given it that name!!!! :-)

    1. Thanks a bunch : )

      It was a great hit on our most recent vacation!

  2. Easy and low in calories and no vacation gain, post this on my Facebook page.

    1. Thanks so much for sharing it - that's SO sweet of you! : )

  3. What a great simple soup! I shall be bookmarking it for winter :)

  4. Easy recipes are wonderful on vacation! Thank you for sharing this on the Art of Home-Making Mondays Anna :) I hope you join in next week!


Please, DO chime in! : )

If you want to share a link to a pertinent and supportive post of your own that directly relates to my post (if, for instance, you also have a great vegan pancake recipe, or a post about Christmas) I don't mind a bit!

I encourage any questions about methods, measurements, or cooking times, and comments about typos, broken links, mistakes, omissions, etc. I also welcome thoughtful questions - even if you disagree with me.

I often take a few days to post your comment, and a few after that to reply. Please don't think I'm ignoring you if my response is slow - I'm just not always connected to technology.

Delighted to have you here! Post away!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...