|How to Cook Quinoa in the Microwave - with or without Pasta Boat|
It provides a nice break from the usual starchy side rotation: Potatoes, Pasta, Rice, Bread, repeat.
But, some find it a little complicated to cook. It's really not at all hard to make on a stove top, but the microwave is a little more convenient, since it times itself, and you don't have to watch over it.
I figured out how to cook it in my Pasta Boat*, and now it's no trouble at all! If you don't have a Pasta Boat*, don't worry - any microwave-safe bowl of suitable size (minimum 14 cup capacity, with straight sides, to prevent boil-over) will work.
This is what to do:
1. Pour 1 Pound Quinoa into Cooking container.
2. Rinse well with warm or hot (not boiling) water. This removes any potential bitter coating that naturally occurs on Quinoa. (Although I have found that the Quinoa I purchase in America very seldom has any bitter coating remaining when I buy it).
3. Drain off water, using perforated lid of Pasta Boat* and/or a sieve.
4. Add 3 1/2 cups Water (3.5 Cups)
5. Place in Microwave.
6. Cook for 15 minutes, uncovered. (This is cook time in my 1000 Watt microwave, and is general guidance, your machine may vary)
7. Remove when done, allow to stand a few minutes, fluff with fork.
Use to make any recipe that calls for cooked Quinoa.
Here is my favorite:
Quinoa and Sesame-Lime Salad
I've adapted this one to my own tastes, and enjoyed it:
Quinoa Fried Rice
I'm also hoping to try these soon:
Thai Quinoa Salad
Cranberry Pecan Quinoa Salad
And, recently I tried a delicious Quinoa Burger at a restaurant, and hope to try to duplicate that experience at home.
So, however you enjoy Quinoa most, this is a quick and easy way to make it!
*Pasta Boat is a Registered Trademark. If you don't have one, you can buy one here. (This is not an affiliate link, just for your convenience). I bought mine at my friendly neighborhood thrift store.
This is being shared on:
Inspire Me Monday
Making a Home