|Greek Skillet Chicken|
1) It cooks faster than large pieces
2) It thaws faster
3) It absorbs marinade better
4) The portion sizes are more adjustable.. Especially if you're serving several people, it means that one person isn't forced to take and waste more than they really want, while the person beside them is wishing for more. It also permits child-sized portions.
5) It's easier to tuck into a wrap the next day or add to a salad or a "bowl"
6) It's easier to use the leftovers as an additional ingredient for a single meat-eater of an otherwise vegetarian dish. I often have portions of this in the Freezer to add to a meal.
7) It's moist and flavorful.
|Greek Skillet Chicken|
I slice them crosswise into slices about 1 cm thick.
I drop them into a plastic refrigerator container or zippered freezer bag, and then add my marinade. I usually put 1 1/2 to 2 pounds of Chicken per container. After adding the marinade, if I'm going to use it the same day, I put it in the fridge. Otherwise, I put it in the Freezer (after labeling, and dating the package, of course!)
|A large Chicken Breast, sliced 1 cm thick|
Then, remove Chicken from marinade, and cook in a nonstick skillet over medium or medium high heat, until done. I add an extra spoonful or two of the marinade to the skillet, so the flavor cooks in better. It concentrates, then evaporates while cooking, then the meat starts to brown.
Greek Chicken Marinade
1/2 Cup Lemon Juice
1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
1 teaspoon Minced Garlic
1 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
Of course, if you prefer you can use this marinade to marinate whole boneless, skinless Chicken Breasts and cook by your normal method. I sometimes do this with my electric indoor grill.
This can be served as a Chicken Dish to Accompany any of the several Vegan Meals below OR it can be served Souvlaki-style, inside a pita with Salad & (optional) Tzatziki, and Fries on the side.
Tips for Dining with Vegetarians . . . .
This Chicken is great with any of the following:
Bulgur Pilaf ( Pourgouri )
Greek Okra & Tomato Stew ( Bamies Yachni )
Greek Stuffed Veggies ( Gemista )
Greek Green Beans ( Fasolakia Yachni )
Mediterranean Chickpeas & Vegetables
Mushroom Kabobs, Grilled ( Manitarakia )
Greek Inspired Oven Fries
Rosemary Roast Potatoes in the Slow Cooker
Black-Eyed Pea Salad
Italian Lunchbox Salad
Mediterranean Two Bean Salad
Mix & Match Italian Rice Salad
White Bean Salad
Greek Tahini Sauce
This is being shared on
The Art of Homemaking Monday
Penny Pinching Party