|Mexican Haystack (assembled & photographed without the help of a food stylist ; )|
but both healthier & tastier : )
This is another "build your own" sort of meal - which is perfect when you have diners with a variety of allergies, sensitivities, or with strong food preferences. You simply put a layer of chips - or your other favorite base layer- such as rice - and build from there. This is a naturally gluten-free meal, if you have diners who need that option : )
What's really great is that with a freezer stocked with some seasoned beans - or with store bought ingredients - this meal can come together really fast. If you have several friends get together - each one can bring or prepare one ingredient.
The links in the list take you to my recipes for these ingredients.
You simply set out the ingredients in bowls, choosing from the following:
- Tortilla Chips of your Choice (I'm a fan of Baked Tostitos - they're widely available, tasty, and healthier than many other options)
- Your choice of seasoned Beans. Black Beans are my favorite in this recipe - but Refried Beans are pretty yummy, too!
- Rice (optional - but some diners might prefer it in place of, or on top of, the chips)
- Shredded Lettuce
- Salsa - Homemade or Storebought
- Guacamole - Homemade or Storebought
- Diced Onion or Scallion - if desired
Tip for dining with Omnivores: If you like, in addition to the above options, you can set out any or all the following for Omnivores - Fajita Style Chicken or Beef Strips, Taco Meat, Shredded Seasoned Chicken or Pork, Sour Cream, Shredded Cheese.
This is being shared at
Gluten Free Fridays