Last night, we had a children's party to go to at Church, and we were all going to be getting in late. I didn't want to have to start cooking when we got home, and I also didn't have much time to prepare something before we left.
So, I put this in the Slow Cooker before we left, and when we came home four hours later - it was delicious!
Greek Bean Soup in the Slow Cooker (Fasolia Yachni)
1 12oz bag frozen mirepoix mix, thawed in a sieve under warm, running water*
4 cups "Yachni" sauce
3 15oz cans Great Northern Beans, WITH their liquid
Water (1 or 2 cups - to the right thick-soup consistency)
Cook on high for 4 hours, or on low 8 hours. (This could also be made on the stove top - cooking for 45 minutes to an hour)
Serve with a nice, crusty bread and salad.
* If you prefer, you can use 1/2 cup sliced carrots, 1/2 cup sliced celery & 1/2 cup chopped onion
Tip for dining with omnivores: This is a hearty vegan dish - a meal in itself. But, many omnivores really want some non-vegan food on the table, no matter how hearty the meal. If that is the case in your house, a nice addition to this meal would be a plate of cheese, crackers, and summer sausage slices.
Check out: Vat O' Yachni - so you won't have to make the sauce EVERY time you want to make a delicious Greek Dish!
This was shared at:
- Recipe Index
- Home Schooling
- Menu Plans and Bulk Cooking Plans
- Gluten Free Vegan Recipes
- Slow Cooker and Crock Pot recipes
- Freezer Friendly Recipes
- Articles and How To's
- Make Your Own Vegan Mixes
- Dump Dinners - Vegan and Omnivore
- The Care and Feeding of Omnivores
- Features & Blog Hops
- Omnivore Foods (Meats, Dairy, Eggs, Poultry, Fish)
- About this Blog and Copyrights